Monday, October 27, 2008

Prophetic Warning #1: Famine.

On my way home from church last night, I felt very strongly that the LORD wants us to share together in some prophetic warnings we have received. I hope this does not strike you as a process of aimless or hopeless spectating, nor an 'alarmist' type of move, but that each of us will be open to God's leading regarding the way we care for ourselves and our families at this critical (kairos) time.

Warning #1: The sign of famine

Several months ago I gave a prophetic song during one of our Wednesday evening services. I'd never done that before, and it has not happened since then. The text that the LORD sent was Philippians 4:6-7: "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

As I sang through this text, the song shifted to a number of scenarios which would certainly have the potential to cause anxiety: "Do not be anxious about anything: when there's no food, when there's no gas, when the heavens are brass, the peace of God which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and guard your minds in Christ Jesus."

An associate of mine has recently urged me to buy as much food as I can in preparation for what she believes will be a swift and drastic decline in the availability of food. Based on Revelation's phrase "a quart of wheat for a day's wages" and of course based on the book of Joel (among others), we can say there is a Biblical precedent for the depletion of crops that are foundational resources for multiple industries. The reality, though, is that I have neither the money nor the space to stockpile anything. I prefer to use the strategy I learned many years ago by pastor and watchman David Wilkerson: in the times where we have had no food and there was no money coming in, I would lay my hands on the empty refrigerator and thank God for the food that He was sending... and within twenty-four hours someone would show up with food for my household. I know that I'm not the only person who has done this. And I can tell you God answers prayer: even in my seasons of unemployment I have never gone hungry.

Matthew 6:25-34 is the quintessential passage which exhorts believers not to worry. I encourage you to read it and meditate on it, even as you ask God what He wants from you during a time of famine. God bless you as you obey Him and seek to be a reflector of His glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment