Thursday, September 11, 2014

Unrestrained.

Ex-trav’-a-gant: 2. Going beyond reasonable limits; excessive or unrestrained.

Then he turned toward the woman and said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? I came into your house. You did not give me any water for my feet, but she wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. You did not give me a kiss, but this woman, from the time I entered, has not stopped kissing my feet. You did not put oil on my head, but she has poured perfume on my feet. Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little.” Then Jesus said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.” (Luke 7:44-48)

In the Luke 7 narrative, Jesus makes a public declaration of what had happened in the heart of a known sinner: “Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—as her great love has shown.” (Luke 7:47a) Do we understand this? Jesus, King and Lord over all, has stated a corollary. In this past Sunday’s sermon, Pastor Sam expressed the connection in this way: When a person realizes what God has done, and responds to His call, then there is a gratitude that is observable. We, when we know what God has done, weep with joy and relief. We express our thanks to Him with unrestrained adoration and praise. We give Him gifts: excessive offerings that bear great cost to us, but that are the tangible evidence of the depth of our gratitude.

Let’s not forget to consider the other corollary stated by Jesus, found in the second part of verse 47: “But whoever has been forgiven little loves little.” (Luke 7:47b) And it’s a scary thing to realize that we, if we don’t recognize what God has done, will not express any love for God. Jesus makes a public declaration of Simon’s unloving expressions, and I would like us to ask ourselves a few questions based on Simon’s three unloving acts.

Simon dismissed the Lord's pursuit. “You did not give Me any water for My feet…”
Have I acknowledged the extent of years that Jesus has walked on my road of life, pursuing me and calling my name? Have I blessed the Feet that walked into the places and spaces I've wandered through?

Simon despised the Lord's Presence. “You did not give Me a kiss…”
Have I obeyed the psalmic directive, “Kiss the Son?” (see Psalm 2:12) Am I happy to be in His company, acknowledging His presence, or am I trying to avoid His Light?

Simon denied the Lord's position. “You did not put oil on My head…”
Have I, personally, agreed with the pronouncement of Jesus as Prophet, Priest, and King? Does my worship, allegorically speaking, pour out like oil as a confirmation of His established position in my heart?

Simon invited Jesus into his home. The sinful woman invited Jesus into her heart.

Scripture references are from The Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

No comments:

Post a Comment