Friday, September 12, 2014

Show Up! Show Out!

Ex-trav’-a-gant: 3. Too ornate or showy.

A woman in that town who lived a sinful life learned that Jesus was eating at the Pharisee’s house, so she came there with an alabaster jar of perfume. As she stood behind him at his feet weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears. Then she wiped them with her hair, kissed them and poured perfume on them. (Luke 7:37-38)

There’s a phrase I’ve heard plenty of times in church, and it’s disturbing. The phrase is, “But you don’t have to do all that. That’s so extreme.”

Somewhere along the Christian journey, we have gotten comfortable with the concept of presenting ourselves to Jesus with a rider attached. Pastor Sam noted this in his sermon on Sunday. What is our approach to God as we join together in corporate worship? There are usually three modes in which people enter the courts of our King:

1) God, do You see me? You should be happy that I’m here in church. Look, I’m giving you two hours of my time. That should be plenty. Don’t ask me to do anything else in this place. I’ll attend, but I won’t labor.

2) God, I’m here because You told me to stay here, and I’m doing what You’ve asked me to do, but I really don’t want to be here. I’m so tired of this place. That’s why I’m complaining every time I open my mouth. I’ll labor, but I won’t worship.

3) God, what a privilege it is to be here! I am so grateful that You’ve given me some things to do here in Your place. Please help me to serve and speak with the same love You have shown to me. I will work and worship to the glory of Your name.

In the Luke 7 narrative, we see that the home where Jesus was invited was owned by a Pharisee named Simon. Simon sat at the table with the King of kings, but in his heart there were despising words: “If this man were a prophet, he would know who is touching him and what kind of woman she is – that she is a sinner.” (Luke 7:39b) The sinful woman, who had no place at the table where the men were reclining, stood at the feet of Jesus. And though she could not express herself with the eloquence of a well-educated Pharisee, she labored for the King through meeting the need that Simon had neglected: Simon had not washed Jesus’s feet, so she washed them using her hair as cloth and her tears as water.

What were those woman’s tears? Tears of regret for her sinful life? Tears of sorrow to see that Simon had not extended the basic courtesy of giving Jesus water for His feet? Tears that she could not come any closer to Him? Jesus interprets her tears: they were tears of love. He said, “…her many sins have been forgiven—as her great love has shown.” (Luke 7:47b)

Do you love Him today? Does it show?


Scripture references are from The Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

No comments:

Post a Comment