Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Missing Donkeys. Circus Monkeys.

When I was a little girl, my mom used to take me to the circus. I was fascinated by the clown acts. These talented men and women would entertain the crowds through slapstick humor and creativity. Sometimes, the clowns would incorporate dogs and chimpanzees into their acts. Oh, how we would laugh.

When I was sixteen years old, though, a curious thing happened. Not one person in my family wanted to go to the circus that year-- that is, no one except me. So, I went by myself. As I sat in the arena and watched the circus with no family to talk with, I was able to see something very interesting: this particular show used the clowns only during set changes. Their antics, highlighted in one section of the arena, were pulling the audience’s attention away from a different part of the arena-- the dimly lit part, which was being set up for a large, exciting display. The spotlight was on the clowns—but, in that moment, I saw what was happening in the shadows.

Pastor Andy noted that God sets up all the connections that move us into our destiny. Our pastor shared from First Samuel 9, in which we find Saul and his servant focused on finding the missing donkeys which belonged to Kish, Saul’s father. Pastor Andy said, and I paraphrase here: For Saul, the pressing issue was that his father’s donkeys were missing. But Saul didn’t realize that the missing donkeys were the means by which God would move Saul into a far greater event—the distinction of being Israel’s first king.

Not every event becomes a precursor to a life-changing experience. But, as our pastor said to us on Sunday, we are called to be observant. Maybe you’ve been laughing at the clowns and dogs and chimpanzees, completely unaware of the set changes occurring on the other side of the arena. Maybe you’ve been wandering around looking for someone else’s missing donkeys, not realizing that your kingship is just around the corner.

Now Saul's uncle asked him and his servant, "Where have you been?" "Looking for the donkeys," he said. "But when we saw they were not to be found, we went to Samuel." (First Samuel 10:14)

Scripture references are from The Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.


No comments:

Post a Comment