Sunday, June 2, 2013

Who Threw That Glove?

I own a small (very small!) collection of scripture memorization cassettes. At the time I bought them (back in the 1980s), the "praise and worship" music genre was still relatively new and radical, and some brave composers turned dozens of Bible verses into catchy choruses in order to facilitate the memorization process. But time marched on, the "new" became the "archaic", and my cassettes were relegated to a shrine-like clear plastic box, occasionally taken out for the sake of nostalgia.

On a recent road trip, I pulled those cassettes from the shrine so that I and my husband could listen to them as we traveled. This time, though, my nostalgia was interrupted with two questions from the Spirit of God: "Why did you stop memorizing My word? Why not start memorizing it again?"

As much as I want to say "I don't know", I do know the answer to the first question. I stopped memorizing because no one was challenging me to memorize, and I didn't have enough passion to engage the process outside of a dare.

The second question has brought me to a kairos moment. God has painted me into a corner. I cannot think of any reason why I should not re-embrace the work of hiding God's Word in my head. My prayer is that as I memorize and meditate on these timeless truths, His Word might miraculously be transferred from my head to my heart.

Perhaps the Lord has also asked you to draw closer to Him in some fashion: Scripture memorization, prayer, silent retreat, increased giving, community service, or some other form of devotion. If He has, I hope that your answer to Him will always be a quick, joyful, authentic yes.

Lord, give us the grace to be and do as You direct.

No comments:

Post a Comment