Monday, June 3, 2013

Addressing The Specter Of Mission Creep.

Pastor Sam returned to the pulpit of Bronx Bethany Church of the Nazarene yesterday, following a nine-week sabbatical leave. His sermon, which was in essence an inaugural statement of his next phase of BBCN ministry, reminded us of our mission and purpose as members of this local church.

At the heart of his sermon was the concern of “mission creep”: that is, the danger of drifting away from the call and role that God has assigned to us as individuals and as a community of faith.

Our pastor noted two key questions concerning mission:

Who has God called me to be?
What has God called me to do?

The order of the questions is of paramount importance. Our pastor shared (and I paraphrase) that if we do not know who we are, then we will not know what we are to do.

Who are you? Are you aware of who God has called you to be? If you are not aware, then today is a good day to ask God to tell you who you are. His word asserts that He has distributed gifts to all His people by the Spirit of Christ (Ephesians 4:7; First Corinthians 12:7). No one has been left out.

Lord God, help me to find my proper place in Your great kingdom… teach me who I am, that I might know where I belong.

No comments:

Post a Comment