Thursday, April 9, 2009

Would You Take A Bullet For Pastor Sam?

As we continue our reflections on Pastor Sam's sermon, let's consider the actions of Simon Peter in the story of Christ's passion.

Peter was not like Judas; that is, Peter did not have a love that was divided between Christianity and consumerism. Peter's challenge was that, in the shadow of his bravado, he was gripped by the spirit of fear. Ultimately, his fear put him in the awful position of denying that he ever knew Jesus.

It's a dangerous thing to tell a friend something like "I would take a bullet for you!"... because the day might well come where you are witness to a gun pointing at your friend's head, and then you will see whether or not your word was truth.

Oh, Peter, I heard you... 'Jesus, I won't leave You'; 'Jesus, even if everyone else bails out You can count on me'; 'Jesus, I'll die with You'... Peter, here comes Judas with the soldiers. What are you going to do now, Peter?

And Peter took out his sword and cut off a soldier's ear. But in the following moments, as Jesus willingly submitted to His Father's will, Peter and all the other disciples ran away. I guess we could empathize with Peter. I mean, he had a wife back at home. Might have had kids. Couldn't afford to be associated with Jesus.

I hear you, Simon Peter: "Sorry, Jesus, I lied. I won't go all the way to the cross. It costs more than I'm willing to pay."

Oh, friends, don't do it! Don't hesitate in your faith! Strive for a full and complete immersion in the Spirit! We hear the warning from Peter, recorded in Second Peter 2:21: "It would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than to have known it and then turn their backs on the sacred command that was passed on to them."

Ah, Peter, I've read your letter and I see you've learned from your experience... and you are graciously warning the rest of us.

My friends, are you sure you love Jesus exclusively? Will you live only for Him? And will you die for Him? The only way is the way of the cross. Don't run away from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment