Friday, March 6, 2009

This Is A Reminder, You Have An Appointment.

Many years ago, for a short period of time, I was in a small contemporary gospel group. On one occasion we were scheduled to sing at an event which featured Out of Eden and Alvin Slaughter.

Much to my surprise, I heard our group being mentioned on a Christian talk radio program a couple of days before the concert. The discussion went something like this:

"Who's on this concert?"
"Alvin Slaughter is headlining, and Out of Eden is going to be there, and the opening acts are local Salvation Army groups: The New Sounds for Christ, and another group called Committed."
"Called what?"
"Committed."
"Oh my God, I hope they show up!"

Committed. We are engaged. We have made, as implied in Psalm 50, certain promises to God that we are bound to keep. We are a living document, a public record of the work of God in us and through us. As Pastor Sam said on Sunday, "His agenda must be engaged by me." There is no alternative for the true servant of God.

Pastor Sam also noted that the committed person is one who will seize opportunity in the face of difficulties and distractions. Why? Because this is God's will we are talking about. When we have given up our personal agendas, we become free to fully immerse ourselves in the plan and program of God. Isaiah 55:10-11 reminds us that when God ordains something, His purpose will be accomplished. And as we look at the words of Christ in John 4 and John 9, we understand that this love we have for God will inevitably manifest itself in our obedience to His call, and our submission to His will, and our execution of His work.

Is this easy? No. But I hope that, for all of us, our passion and love for God will spur us on to do the hard things for the sake of His kingdom agenda.

God, I am committed... and I promise I'll show up.

No comments:

Post a Comment