Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Angel, The Agnostic, And The Analyst.

On Monday I met an angel. His name is Larry and he drives a cab. I met him while eating lunch at Che Bella, a small eatery in Manhattan near Columbia University.

Larry was full of genuine love for God and for people. Larry showed me the badge of a slain police officer he said was his brother. And Larry said that he drives his cab, tells people about Yeshua (he said he prefers saying Yeshua because it's the name Jesus was called in the context of ancient Palestine), prays with police officers every chance he gets, and is working on innovative evangelism tools which he believes mega-church leaders will finance and market in this country.

Oh, and there was someone else at our table- an agnostic, a brilliant Barnard College sophomore who got a chance to see a flash of the kingdom of God. Larry prayed for her, told her about our wonderful Savior Jesus, and gave her his church address. I told her that I work part-time at Barnard, and I gave her the URL of this blog along with my cell phone number & e-mail.

She left, he left, and I left. As I walked up 120th Street I heard a car horn honking: it was Larry, waving his Bible through the open window as he drove his cab towards Riverside Drive.

In light of this experience, and Sunday's services, and in looking back at the blogs from the previous weeks and months, it is clear to me that we have reached "the front edge of the water" (Joshua 3): the beginnings of a revival that will move Bronx Bethany, and the whole world, into a new realization of the love of God, the power of prayer, and the reality of miracles- the things we call signs and wonders- that can heal bodies and mend broken hearts and transform lives all over the world.

This week I am not sure how the blogs will flow, but I'm thinking that it might be best just to post some of the Bible verses that our brother and friend Dan quoted while preaching on Sunday. I'll pray about it & we'll see, from day to day, how things work out.

You know, I was not being metaphorical in my description of Larry. I really think he was an angel.

Yes, Larry, I see you waving that Bible... thanks for reminding me. And Dan, I heard you this weekend. And Pastor Sam, I heard you on Saturday. I will read through my entire Bible. Not from a spirit of competition, but because I need more of Jesus in me for the days ahead. It's time.

See you tomorrow my friends.

-Genise

No comments:

Post a Comment