Thursday, December 4, 2008

Advent Reading 5: Psalm 18

Passion and desire. The psalms of David are incredible love letters to God: praises of His sovreignty and power, adoration and worship of His name and nature, pleas for His intervention and deliverance.

Psalm 18, we are told, was written by David on the day that God delivered him from the hand of his enemies, and in particular from the hand of King Saul. David testifies, "The cords of death encompassed me, and the torrents of ungodliness [destruction] terrified me" (Psalm 18:4). The thought is reiterated again in verse 5, reinforcing the notion of David being faced with his own mortality and the very real prospect of dying without realizing God's promise of his being made king in place of Saul.

Later in the psalm, we see David's assessment of what and why:

What happened?
"In my distress I called upon the LORD" (verse 6); "He delivered me from my strong enemy and from those who hated me, for they were too mighty for me" (verse 17). David cried out to God, and God answered clearly and powerfully.

Why did it happen?
"The LORD has rewarded me according to my righteousness, according to the cleanness of my hands" (verses 20 and 24); "For I have kept the ways of the LORD, and have not wickedly departed from my God" (verse 21); "I kept myself from iniquity" (verse 23). In these verses we are reminded of the classic contrast of the Psalms: the fate of the blessed in comparison with the fate of the wicked.

What is the end result?
"Therefore I will give thanks to Thee among the nations, O LORD" (verse 49). David is the poster boy for unashamed, uninhibited praise. When Saul dies and David is publicly anointed as king, he continues in his mode of authentic worship. Second Samuel chapter 6 gives the wonderful account of David's joyful worship, a dance of thanksgiving to God without regard to the opinion of man.

Passion and desire. How hungry are you for the ways of the LORD?

No comments:

Post a Comment