Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Crazy Faith

Let's talk about mustard seed faith. I'd like to start this blog with a quote from Pastor Sam's sermon: "It's not the size of our faith, it's the size of the God we put our faith in."

On Sunday I picked up a new Forward in Faith pledge card, and for part of today I will be in the sanctuary at BBCN to talk with God about increasing my pledge for 2009 and beyond. As we were reminded on Sunday, the whole point of Forward in Faith is that we realize there's no way we can accomplish our capital campaign outside of a miracle from God. I don't want to be arbitrary or reckless, but I do want to see God do amazing things. BBCN is stretched to the limit. Anyone who works or volunteers at BBCN during the week can tell you that we are in desperate need of more physical space.

We are so good at lip service. We talk about God opening the Red Sea, or the time we had no food and God sent someone to our door with groceries, but it seems we don't want to "impose" on God for less dramatic demonstrations of His power (if I may dare to rank-order miracles). A ten-million dollar physical plant, in comparison to turning back time (see Second Kings 20:9-11), is a small thing to ask. But are we asking in faith?

Let's be real. Not everyone is on board with the Forward in Faith campaign, and my guess is they won't be too keen on Back To Basics either. Both programs have at their core the concept of God's sovreignty, and therein lies the challenge for some who don't want their mental sand castles knocked over. But guess what? There is only one King in the kingdom, and what He says goes. You can fight Him if you want, but you might not live to tell the tale. You and your little sand castle can be swept away by the slightest wave from God, so take care in how you approach His servants who are just telling you what He has told them.

"Mountain, be cast into the depths of the sea" (see Matthew 17:20; Mark 11:22-24). Have you ever spoken a word like that, confident of God's ability to bring it to pass? Wait. Let's rewind the tape a little further back, to that classic question Pastor Sam always asks: Has God given you a word on a particular matter? What has God said? According to Hebrews 11, God is in the habit of telling things to His beloved children: Noah, I'm about to break out in judgement. Build an ark- I'll give you the specs... Moses, stop making excuses. You're My man and I'm using you to free My people from bondage... Gideon, your army is too fat. Let's trim it down to 300 men.

What has God said to you? Well, I know what God has said to me. And some of it is scary, but God has sent a companion word: Fear not. I see from reading scripture that Moses, Gideon, and others were initially reluctant to accept the assignment given to them by God. But how can we say no? God, who does not have to prove Himself, has graciously proven Himself over and over again. He does not make mistakes, and we can trust Him. Our faith might look crazy to some, but it's actually the most sensible action we can engage in.

Make Pastor Sam's question your own question: What has God said? I hope, that as you reflect on the things that God has told you, you will be encouraged to walk in obedience to His call on your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment