Wednesday, August 20, 2014

The Ultimate Creative.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right, persevering, and steadfast spirit within me. (Psalm 51:10, Amplified)

In the past few weeks I have been privileged to meet a few writers and designers. These men and women have been gifted by God to create. Whether the final product is a poem or a pantsuit, each person has been given the ability to do something new by working with pre-existing materials. The poet puts old words together in a new way, and people extol her ability to turn phrases. The designer adds his personal style to a long-standing trend, and as a result people clamor to purchase his designs.

During this past Sunday's sermon, Pastor Sam pointed to our God as the ultimate Creative. While some of us on earth have been blessed with the ability to make things out of other things, our God has distinguished Himself by the ability to make things out of nothing. Our pastor noted the term ex-nihilo ("out of nothing"): our God does not need to gather raw materials. He simply speaks, and what was previously non-existent comes into existence.

The account of creation in Genesis 1 encourages me today, and I hope it will encourage you as well. The God who created everything out of nothing is our God. The God who created everything by His word is our Creator. What need can we face that He cannot address?

God, great Creator, take me in my nothingness and speak Your creative word into my life and circumstances. Cause me to walk in the power of new life in You: risen life, holy life, joyful life, through the work of Your Holy Spirit. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment