Thursday, August 7, 2014

He Knows My Names...

Why do you say, Jacob, Why do you say, Israel, “The Lord is not aware of what is happening to me, My God is not concerned with my vindication”? Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is an eternal God, the creator of the whole earth. He does not get tired or weary; there is no limit to his wisdom. (Isaiah 40:27-28)

During this past Sunday's sermon, the Lord had our pastor pause at Isaiah 40:27 to explain the reference to “Jacob” and “Israel”. We learned that the two names refer to one person. Jacob was known as a swindler and con artist, a man whose very name meant “supplanter”—a man who we would probably not choose to engage any work for God, because he had a track record of living solely for himself. But our God had a different view! Time passed by, and eventually Jacob encountered the presence and power of God. God gave the man a new name: You are no longer Jacob, but Israel – the man who has God on his side, fighting for him, and who prevails (see Genesis 32:28Genesis 35:10).

In Isaiah 40, then, this small reference to Jacob carries heavy weight. God’s message of hope is offered not just to the Israels of the world who have submitted to His will, but also to the Jacobs of the world who still attempt to make their own way in life. What is the message? It is this: I am the LORD your God. My wisdom is unlimited, and I am eternal. I know everything that is going on in your life. Don’t think that I am unaware or unconcerned.

Even in our faltering attempts at self-sufficiency, God stands ready to save and transform us! I am grateful. Are you?

Lord, You see, You hear, and You know. Thank You for reminding us of Your eternal presence. Thank You for offering Your strength to our weary frames. Give us grace to rest and trust in You.

No comments:

Post a Comment