Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Power, Steering.

He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. (Isaiah 40:29)

In this past Sunday’s sermon, we learned that we can rejoice and rest in God’s character traits. One of the traits Pastor Sam spoke of is God’s amazing grace. It is a grace that keeps our minds and souls secure in the face of despair.

Our pastor referenced Second Corinthians 12. It is a fascinating chapter that captures Paul’s sense of security in God, even in the face of suffering. As Pastor Sam noted, Paul is strengthened in a situation that will not change. Paul says:

“…in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.” (Second Corinthians 12:7b-9)

As we continue reading the chapter, we see that Paul was not merely speaking theoretically. Paul had personally experienced the power of God at work in and through him as he continued in ministry:

“I persevered in demonstrating among you the marks of a true apostle, including signs, wonders and miracles.” (Second Corinthians 12:12)

God’s amazing grace is not simply a grace that keeps us content in Him as we go through trials. It is a grace that helps us, even in our weak state, to be mighty in His power. We see this theme reflected in Paul’s letter to the church in Ephesus: “Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.” (Ephesians 6:10) The strength is not contingent upon our personal circumstances. Rather, it is the power of God at work in us.

As I prepared to write today the Lord reminded me of an incident that occurred last year, in August 2013. A woman, who had received devastating news in her personal life, then had the extreme challenge of encountering a gunman who had come to shoot the staff and students in the school where she worked. Antoinette Tuff, in her weakness, was able to save lives because of the power of God at work in and through her. I encourage you to watch excerpts of an interview where Ms. Tuff credits God as the source of her hope. Click here to view the interview excerpt.

Lord God, Your grace strengthens us! Your grace empowers us! Cause us to demonstrate the marks of a true apostle: signs, wonders, and miracles, all done in Your name and by Your power. Amen.

All Scripture references are taken from the NIV: Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

No comments:

Post a Comment