Thursday, December 19, 2013

The Real "Ordinary People".

In Sunday's sermon Pastor Sam shared with us that the Holy Spirit is interested in ordinary people.

In Luke's Advent narrative we see that "In the sixth month God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth, a town in Galilee" (Luke 1:26). Our pastor noted that Nazareth is not Times Square: Nazareth and Judea were ordinary nondescript towns, but God saw and knew the people there.

Sometimes we assume that if we are in a remote area, God is unaware of our station and character. But God sees and knows all people. His messenger Gabriel made it clear that Mary's character was known: "The angel went to her and said, 'Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you.'" (Luke 1:28) Elizabeth and Zechariah were also known by God: "Both of them were upright in the sight of God, observing all the Lord's commandments and regulations blamelessly." (Luke 1:6)

God is aware. In Psalm 139 we see this reality reinforced in the song of David. A few verses from the psalm are below. I pray that we will reflect on these words today, with gratitude and joy, recognizing that we are never hidden from the sight of Almighty God.

You discern my going out and my lying down;
You are familiar with all my ways.
Before a word is on my tongue
You know it completely, O Lord.

You hem me in behind and before;
You have laid Your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
Too lofty for me to attain.

Where can I go from Your Spirit?
Where can I flee from Your presence?
If I go up to the heavens, You are there;
If I make my bed in the depths, You are there.
If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
If I settle on the far side of the sea,
Even there Your hand will guide me,
Your right hand will hold me fast.

If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me
And the light become night around me,"
Even the darkness will not be dark to You;
The night will shine like the day,
For darkness is as light to You.

(Psalm 139:3-12) (Click here to read Psalm 139 in its entirety)

No comments:

Post a Comment