Monday, December 9, 2013

The Persecution... And The Presence.

Yesterday afternoon I had an interesting conversation with a food-service worker.

I asked for a BLT. The woman behind the counter then asked me whether I wanted lettuce on the sandwich. Assuming she was perhaps new to her post, I explained to her that BLT stands for Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato, and that those were the three things that by definition had to be in the sandwich.

She replied, "Oh, but you can put anything you want in the sandwich."
I responded, "If I put anything I want in this sandwich, then it ceases to be a BLT."

In Sunday's English-language sermons, Pastor Sam reminded us of the plight of the early Christians. Their devotion to God was directly challenged by leaders who had given themselves over to the works of evil. There was intense social and political pressure to conform to the worship of idols. The Christians who made space for idolatry were spared from persecution; those who refused to compromise their faith were ostracized, tortured, and killed.

Some of us are personally familiar with the reality of persecution. And today I find myself wondering if we, having adopted the teachings of Jesus, have also added a myriad of philosophies and "self-help" mantras to try to avoid persecution, then falsely named our mixture "Christianity". But if we are truly Christians, then we are citizens of a kingdom where Jesus, the Anointed One, is our King and Lord. He needs no add-ons, and our "self-help" attempts cannot save our souls. Christ alone is the key and the door that leads to eternal life.

In Sunday's sermon Pastor Sam noted that if we have lost our home, but have not lost our relationship with Jesus Christ, then our soul remains in a position of rejoicing. When we grasp the value of our eternal love relationship with the King of Glory, then the temporal concerns of life cease to rule over us: the temptation to compromise is vanquished by the power of God's Presence in His people.

As our pastor has said from time to time over the years, There is no "Plan B". There is only this true and living God, our Lover and Defender, who patiently calls us to relinquish idolatry and cling to Him. My prayer is that we who call ourselves Christians will find true rest and true peace in Jesus, our Ruler and Lord.

Sweet Spirit of God, You knew our circumstances before we experienced them. You know where we stand in our faith-walk with You. You love us! Help us to love You, even when that love evokes persecution from those who hate You. Lord Jesus, You are our King. Rule in our hearts, today and forever. Amen.

"The LORD is my light and my salvation: whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?...Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear; though war break out against me, even then will I be confident." (Psalm 27, verses 1 and 3, New International Version)

No comments:

Post a Comment