Sunday, March 17, 2013

Fifth Sunday In Lent: Judica.

(Chant score. Source: Jogueschant, www.ccwatershed.org/liturgy)

The fifth Sunday in Lent, Judica, is named after the first word in the choral introit used in many liturgical churches for today (Judica me Deus/Vindicate me, God). [There are some churches that refer to the fifth Sunday in Lent as Passion Sunday, although in modern usage Passion Sunday is also considered an alternate name for Palm Sunday.]

The introit is taken from Psalm 43:

Clear my name.
Stick up for me against these loveless, immoral people.
Get me out of here, away from these lying degenerates.
I counted on You, God.
Why did You walk out on me?
Why am I pacing the floor,
wringing my hands over these outrageous people?
Give me Your lantern and compass,
Give me a map,
So I can find my way to the sacred mountain,
to the place of Your presence.

(Psalm 43:1-3, The Message)


O, Domine! Judica me Deus, et discerne causam meam. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment