Thursday, March 7, 2013

But Wait, There's More.

At the bottom of my blog page is a necessary disclaimer: "My blog posts do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of my pastors nor of the denomination at large."

On occasion, a pastor will express his or her viewpoint concerning a blog post: when one does, I add the comment to the "Comments" section of that particular post. Today, though, the viewpoint expressed really needs to be the main post (and not relegated to the comments section). So I'd like to share with you some information from Pastor Sam in light of this past Tuesday's post (Engaging The Fire Of Intercession, Part One).

In using Exodus 30:1-10 to supplement Tuesday's post, I failed to take into account other passages that give a different perspective of the place and role of Nadab and Abihu in regard to intercession. Here, then, are additional notes and texts:

"Please note that Aaron's duties were allied with that of his sons. Their mis-step was therefore not in what they were doing, but in how they were doing it. To see that the responsibility of the priesthood involved both Aaron and his sons see the following texts: Exodus 27:21 and 28:1-5; Leviticus 1:7, 3:13, 6:9-15,and 6:19-25. Your emphasis on the "intercessory" implication of the priestly work therefore do not (based on these texts) exclude [Nadab and Abihu]. Their problem was that they sought to do it their way instead of God's way." (Pastor Sam)

So, given these additional points, I must abandon my theory that Nadab and Abihu were, like Miriam, seeking to walk into a role they weren't suited for. It is, therefore, summarily removed and replaced with the key thought provided by our pastor:

"... they sought to do it their way instead of God's way."

That is a good thing for us to reflect on today: if God prescribes a particular course of action, what valid justification can you or I give for not following His instructions?

Have Thine own way, Lord, have Thine own way!
Thou art the Potter, I am the clay.
Mold me and make me after Thy will,
While I am waiting, yielded and still. (Adelaide A. Potter, 1907)

Lord, we want to "do life" Your way. Cause us to execute Your good, acceptable, and perfect will.

No comments:

Post a Comment