Friday, February 15, 2013

Backlash.

"Because of my continued emphasis on renewal and revival, a few relational and leadership issues arose. Already a handful of families had left the church because of the changes that were happening, but now some close friends in the body and in the leadership began to get 'tired' of the revival. It seemed that they were discontent, and whenever they saw me they complained and questioned my judgement or motives. I have learned that there is a big difference between asking a question of the pastor and questioning the pastor.

"At one time these friends were able to receive, but now they were in opposition. Their favorite comments were, 'When are we going back to the way it was? This revival is getting out of hand' or 'You're going too far with this.'

"The decision I had to make was whether I should react to these complaints or stay the course. After much soul searching, prayer, and counsel from my elders and leaders, we decided that at the danger of losing some families, I would continue to allow God to move as He led me. We lost a few more people which caused disappointment because they were close friends, and some of them were influential in the church.

"I continued to encourage people to come to the renewal and revival services, and I waited on God for His direction on when to change anything.

"Was it worth it? Absolutely! We continued to be touched by the Holy Spirit and we grew numerically. I determined to forgive and release those who had accused me so that they could go on to do what they felt they should do... Not everyone will be passionate for revival. Some will find that revival puts them outside of their religious comfort zone. Nonetheless, the barometer of revival constantly reflects what God wants, not what religion dictates. Listen carefully to the voice of God, and stay submitted to godly wisdom, authority and counsel. Stay the course of revival to see God's increase."

-from the book "Living in the Spirit of Revival" by Dr. Ron Burgio

No comments:

Post a Comment