Friday, December 25, 2009

Domine, Nunc! Dimittis!

"Lord, Now!"

Simeon and Anna were simply senior citizens who faithfully made their way to the temple everyday. They were worshippers of God, and they waited patiently for God's promised Messiah.

Joseph and Mary were simply another Jewish couple, coming to the temple to fulfill the requirements of the Law... but wait.

Joseph and Mary were not just any couple. Simeon and Anna were not just any senior citizens. God ordained the steps of these four people, and a "kairos" moment, an opportune time that had to be acted upon,occurred.

"Domine, nunc! Dimittis!" "Lord, now! Dismiss me!" Simeon knew what God had said: the advent of the Christ signalled the end of days for Simeon. "And it was revealed to him by the Holy Spirit, that he should not see death before he had seen the Lord's Christ" (Luke 2:26).

What a thing to consider: Simeon had seen the Lord Jesus, and upon encountering Him Simeon was ready to die. In other words, Simeon was not changing the deal. We are often guilty of trying to pull a "shell game" with God: "God, if you just let me see my child finish high school then that's enough for me"... "God, let me see them finish college"... "God, let me see them get married... establish independence... get their first house..." or, in other words, "God, I am not relinquishing my right to myself. You just keep doing nice things for me and my family, keep letting me live in prosperity, let me keep switching my story. God, I'm not really interested in giving my life to You."

Lord, what can we say? You call us to die to self, to lay our lives before You. Help us to say with Simeon, Yes! Take me out of the temple, take my life, take my agenda- You have promised I'd see this day, this day has come, and I have seen You up close and personal. That's enough for me! Do what You please! Thank You for allowing me to experience Your salvation, Your Light, Your Glory. Thank You for allowing me to share a prophetic word with the purpose of giving light and understanding to others who are serving You from a heart of obedience. We relinquish our lives to You. Keep us, send us, destroy us, promote us... Do what You see fit. Whatever it is You want, that is what we want. Search our hearts and reveal Your truth in us. In Jesus's name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment