Friday, October 2, 2009

Veni. Vidi.

Jesus saith unto them, "Come and see." They came and saw where He dwelt, and abode with Him that day: for it was about the tenth hour. (John 1:39)

In this past Sunday's sermon, Pastor Benji reminded us of two important points regarding the recognition of Christ:

We have to be willing to spend time with Him. This was a point reiterated on Wednesday night, as Reverend Gabbidon said essentially the same thing during the School of Prayer course. The Psalms speak of the need for communion with God (see Psalm 1), Jesus Himself lived a life of communion with the Father (see Matthew 14:23), and the lives of men like Daniel Nash, Charles Finney, and others showed the spiritual power that came as a result of the investment of hours alone in the presence of God.

We have to embrace Him as a person, not a concept. Yes, my friends, this raises the bar. How do we relate to the personhood of God? It's through Jesus. "The Word became flesh and dwelt among us" (see John 1:14). There is a relationship in place! Not some abstract notion of God-ness in the earth, but the real presence of the Spirit of Jesus, teaching us to love as He loved and to say no to ungodliness and worldly passions (see Romans 8 and Titus 2).

LORD God, You are my Lord. Do whatever it takes to cause me to come to where You are, and to work in the same way that You are working. I want to live like You.

LORD God, You are my Lover. Do whatever it takes to cause me to see You, and help me to reflect the image of Your goodness and glory in my relationships with others. I want to love like You.

No comments:

Post a Comment