Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Paterson, Raging Against The One Who Stills The Storm.

Friends, you may recall that earlier this year I issued a call to prayer and fasting concerning New York Governor David Paterson's attempt to legalize marriage between homosexuals. You may also recall that the New York State Senate experienced what amounted to a coup, and the Senate never voted on the proposal.

Well, Governor Paterson recently announced at a Gay Pride dinner (held in New York City last week) that he again intends to call a special session for the Senate to vote, and his belief is that he and the gay lobby have sufficient votes to pass the bill into law. Some commentators have stated that the Governor is in a hurry to pass the law before 2010, so that marriage between homosexuals will not be a debatable issue in the 2010 state elections.

I don't know much about politics. But I do know that I have friends who are homosexual, whom I love dearly, and I know that I have an ultimate Friend, Jesus, who I would die for.

Reverend Joel spoke on this dynamic during the Leadership Symposium:

-Everyone has the right to express their opinions.
-It is not realistic to expect non-Christians to live according to the word of God.
-Whatever the law is, we all must obey as good citizens.
-The voice of Christianity should be defined not by protest alone, but by love and service to the community.

So, in light of these things, I continue to love and not judge.
So, in light of these things, I continue to exercise the basics of Matthew 6: fasting, praying, and giving.

So, in light of these things, I urge you to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment