Thursday, October 3, 2013

Recall. Restore. Rescue.

Create pure thoughts in me and make me faithful again. Don't chase me away from You or take Your Holy Spirit away from me. Make me as happy as You did when You saved me; make me want to obey! I will teach sinners Your law, and they will return to You. Keep me from any deadly sin. Only You can save me! Then I will shout and sing about Your power to save. (Psalm 51:10-14)

In one part of Sunday's sermon, Pastor Martha noted that David's most familiar psalms are Psalms 23 and 51. She shared with us that David was able to write about the steadfast love of God in Psalm 51 because 1) he knew God's character and 2) he was aware of the relationship between a shepherd and his sheep.

How does a God-loving, God-fearing man recover from acts of lust, adultery, contract murder, and a hardened heart? By recalling the character of God and by restoring his relationship with God.

Psalm 51:16-17 says, "Burnt offerings and sacrifices are not what You want.  The way to please You is to feel sorrow deep in our hearts. The sacrifice of contrition is the kind of sacrifice You won't refuse."

Where are you today? Have you hardened your heart and refused to confess your sins? Have you turned your heart to someone or something that the Lord's Word has instructed you to avoid? Have you plotted the murder of a man's life, or character, by enlisting others to "draw away from him so that he will be struck down"? (See Second Samuel 11:14-15)

No matter where you are, there is hope. The God of King David is our God, and He has not changed. He still hears the petition of the penitent. He still forgives. He still rescues.

Unchangeable God, change my heart today.

No comments:

Post a Comment