Friday, October 4, 2013

At The Core.

(At The Salvation Army Manhattan Citadel Corps, New York)
Look, I was guilty of sin from birth, a sinner the moment my mother conceived me. Look, You desire integrity in the inner man; You want me to possess wisdom. Cleanse me with hyssop and I will be pure; wash me and I will be whiter than snow. Grant me the ultimate joy of being forgiven! May the bones  you crushed rejoice! Hide Your face from my sins! Wipe away all my guilt! Create for me a pure heart, O God! Renew a resolute spirit within me! (Psalm 51:5-10)

I was grateful that, during this past Sunday's sermon, Pastor Martha made the connection between Psalm 23 and Psalm 51. In seeing the David of Psalm 23, we are better able to understand and connect with the David of Psalm 51.

There are verses in Psalm 51 that once made me cringe. One of them is "Then I will teach transgressors of Your merciful ways, and they will turn to You." (Psalm 51:13) I used to wonder, How can a rebel teach anything to a transgressor? In referencing Psalm 23, Pastor Martha revealed the answer to my question. Though rebellion was found in David's heart, rebellion was not the foundation of David's life. His contrite confession in Psalm 51 erased the scaffolding of transgression, leaving behind the solid core of integrity and faithfulness expressed in Psalm 23.

Psalm 23, the Shepherd's psalm, reminds us that as a young man David logged many a day in the wilderness. His task was to tend the sheep of his father. Our pastor shared that David would spend his days equipped with "a slingshot and a harp, to protect and to praise." He had an understanding of what it meant to be immersed in authentic worship. He knew what it was to fight against wild animals and prevail. He took these transferable skills onto the battlefield and into the palace, and for many years he held his post faithfully. A series of poor decisions changed his life forever. But, because he knew he had a solid foundation, he was able to petition God with the hope of regaining his core values.

Recently I returned to where my Christian walk began, and to where God built my foundation. Last weekend was the 125th anniversary of The Salvation Army Manhattan Citadel Corps (photo above). One of the hallmarks of the church, then and now, can be found in the lives of men and women who were taught there. The corps has a core: solid faith in Jesus Christ, deep love for the community, passion for holiness, intentionality concerning the preached word of God, and demonstrated forgiveness and reconciliation. Is it perfect? No. But its community of believers does bear a striking resemblance to King David. They are trained in worship and the word. They are on the front lines of the battle for justice and protection of the weak. They are quick to confess and repent. They are teachable, and they are teachers.

I've made mistakes. Have you? Take heart. We can be encouraged today: the God who trained us in righteousness is the God who can restore us to Himself.

O God, creative, restorative, loving King, search us today. Strip away the mess we've made. Restore us, so that our exterior matches our core.

No comments:

Post a Comment