Friday, August 16, 2013

In A Scent.

Towards the end of Pastor Althea's sermon, she asked us: are we contributing to the funk, or the fragrance?

Sin, in its myriad manifestations, is common to life. But as we learned on Sunday, the Christian response to life's issues is supposed to be markedly different than the response of the world. As pursuers of holiness and promoters of healing, our desire is to daily be reflections of Christ's purity and power.

Today let us reflect on the following questions, taking time to confess and repent in those areas where we have neglected to show our love for God, our maturing faith, and our commitment to serving the world.

  • Are there things that I am thinking and doing in my personal life that I know are damaging the corporate witness of the body of Christ? Have I become comfortable in acts that are a stench in the nostrils of God? (Psalm 50:16-23)
  • Do I believe that God still answers prayer? If so, am I "praying without ceasing" (First Thessalonians 5:17)?
  • Pastor Althea mentioned that Bronx Bethany's membership is about 900. Am I a member of a local church body? (Hebrews 10:25; First Corinthians 12:12-27)
  • Our pastor also said, "I dream of a church where I don't have to pretend that I'm perfect." Am I living my life transparently before God and man, or am I wearing a mask?
  • Is my response to known sin confession and repentance, with a heart cry to God for His Spirit to move me to change? Or do I respond to sin by further accommodating it, with a conscious intent to continue repeating the acts that displease God?
  • When Jeremiah spoke the word of God, he was met with opposition and arrogance by the very people who claimed to be followers of God. How do I respond when the word of God is spoken to me? (Jeremiah 20:1-12)
  • In light of the above questions, my prayer for today is... [complete the sentence]

When God sniffs at your heart, what does He smell?

No comments:

Post a Comment