Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Rich. Soil. Water. Growth.


“Sometimes we don’t cultivate the environment in which the Spirit can come.” – Pastor Richie

In this past Sunday’s sermon, Pastor Richie reminded us that we play a role in the ministry of the Holy Spirit. Our heart thoughts and actions have a direct correlation with our corporate experience of the Spirit of Christ in the midst of us.

Jesus says, “I promise you that God in heaven will allow whatever you allow on earth, but He will not allow anything you don’t allow. I promise that when any two of you on earth agree about something you are praying for, my Father in heaven will do it for you. Whenever two or three of you come together in My name, I am there with you.” (Matthew 18:18-20, Contemporary English Version, emphasis mine)

A question for today: When we gather together as a community of faith, are we gathered together in the name of Jesus? It’s a tough question, because often we have a myriad of reasons as to why we’re “showing up.” There is the dreaded phrase, “I have to…” – I have to sing, I have to dance, I have to drop off this package to so-and-so, I have to set up Communion… Are we surprised that when we view corporate gatherings as obligatory exercises, the Holy Spirit of Christ is not experienced in His fullness?

The name of Jesus is a source of salvation, healing, deliverance, and power (see Matthew 1:21; Acts 4:7-10; Mark 16:17-18). In the moments when we gather with no other agenda but the praise and worship of our glorious Savior, an environment/atmosphere is set in which the Spirit of the Lord can be with us. His presence [as our senior pastor (Pastor Sam) shared with us some years ago] is an indicator that He is present to act, working wonders in our midst to the glory of His name.

That's the place where I'd like to be: with His people and in His presence. How about you?

Lord Jesus, forgive us for our treating time in Your house, and time with Your people, as pained obligation instead of privileged honor. Help us to re-frame our understanding of what it means to gather together for corporate worship and prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment