Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Winds Against Me. Jesus For Me.

In this past Sunday's sermon, Pastor Shane shared insights from the account of Jesus walking on the water (Matthew 14:22-32). Today, I'd like to remind us of a comment that was shared by Pastor Shane during the sermon, then echoed by Pastor Richie during the altar call. In essence, our pastors pointed out that we Christians sometimes "begin to sink" just as Peter did: while we are in the middle of experiencing a miracle, we make the mistake of taking our eyes off of Jesus. We instead focus on the winds blowing around us. We sink not because our Lord is absent, but because we have directed our attention away from Him.

Oh, do you feel the remorse I feel? I, like Peter, have often turned my eyes from the Savior and looked around, as if my turning and squinting would allow me to see the wind and chart its path. But why should I be concerned about that? What sense does it make to try and analyze the wind? It is far better to fix my gaze on the Christ, whose word rules the winds I hear, and whose word controls the waves He has empowered me to walk upon.

Winds, blow on. Watch me walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment