Thursday, January 24, 2013

The Lane, The Pace, The Life-long Race.

I'm praying loud; Lord, I'm praying, trying to make a hundred
Ninety-nine and a half won't do... (E. Floyd/W. Pickett/S. Cropper)

During this past Sunday's sermons, Pastor Richie spoke on the analogy of running a race. One point he mentioned was that, as runners, we don't run to beat the other runners: we run our best time with the goal of winning the race.

Another point our pastor mentioned was that the apostle Paul frequently used footrace analogies in his letters. In Philippians 3, we have the following:

"My aim is to know him, to experience the power of his resurrection, to share in his sufferings, and to be like him in his death, and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead. Not that I have already attained this – that is, I have not already been perfected – but I strive to lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus also laid hold of me. Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself to have attained this. Instead I am single-minded: Forgetting the things that are behind and reaching out for the things that are ahead, with this goal in mind, I strive toward the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Therefore let those of us who are “perfect” embrace this point of view. If you think otherwise, God will reveal to you the error of your ways. Nevertheless, let us live up to the standard that we have already attained." (Philippians 3:10-16)

Our pastor shared with us that, in essence, Paul is saying: Guys, I am still running, I am still pushing myself, I am focused on the finish line. I want to end this race well... I want to win. I don't want to fall back, I don't want to slack off. I've run a lot of miles and have seen some gains, but I want to see myself looking more and more like Jesus. I love Him so much, and I long to know Him in increasing intimacy.

What is your goal? Sometimes we emulate certain musicians or ministers who live lives of holiness, but they are not the benchmark of holiness. Paul says, "I strive toward the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."

Jesus, full of the power of the Holy Spirit.
Jesus, perfect picture of grace in the midst of sufferings.
Jesus, our Royal High Priest and Intercessor.
Jesus, help us to look more like You.

No comments:

Post a Comment