Thursday, September 27, 2012

You Can't Fire Me. Ever.

In a recent sermon, our pastor mentioned that someone contacted our denomination’s headquarters and made critical remarks concerning what and how he preached. It’s not the first time we’ve heard of such. And sadly, it probably won’t be the last. Not sad for our pastor, but sad for the person who thinks their criticism will have an effect on the “what and how” of preaching. It's sad because the person obviously does not understand the concept of prophetic mode.

Jeremiah chapter 20 is perhaps the ultimate chapter concerning prophetic mode and the obligation of a prophet to his Lord. In chapter 20 we see Jeremiah speaking in the prophetic mode: His words were not his  own, but were the words of the LORD. His prophecy earned him a beating and a day in the stocks. We see Jeremiah shifting from powerful prophetic utterances to moments of stark fatigue and despair. And in the middle of that chapter, we see the heart of the prophet:

Sometimes I think, “I will make no mention of his message. I will not speak as his messenger any more.” But then his message becomes like a fire locked up inside of me, burning in my heart and soul. I grow weary of trying to hold it in; I cannot contain it. (Jeremiah 20:9)

And, because God’s agenda cannot be suffocated, His word must pour from the soul of the prophet into the atmosphere. God’s word is not stopped by threats, nor beatings, nor caustic letters to denominational headquarters. It appears that the only way to silence a prophet is to kill him.

But guess what? The killing thing won’t work either. God has built into the prophet a life that effects prophetic action post-death! We see it in Scripture:

But the Lord said to Cain, “What have you done? The voice of your brother Abel’s blood is crying out to me from the ground! So now, you are banished from the ground, which has opened its mouth to receive your brother’s blood from your hand. (Genesis 4:10-11)

Samuel said to Saul, “Why have you disturbed me by bringing me up?” Saul replied, “I am terribly troubled! The Philistines are fighting against me and God has turned away from me. He does not answer me – not by the prophets nor by dreams. So I have called on you to tell me what I should do.” Samuel said, “Why are you asking me, now that the Lord has turned away from you and has become your enemy? The Lord will hand you and Israel over to the Philistines! Tomorrow both you and your sons will be with me. The Lord will also hand the army of Israel over to the Philistines!” (First Samuel 28:15, 16, and 19)

One day some men were burying a man when they spotted a raiding party. So they threw the dead man into Elisha’s tomb. When the body touched Elisha’s bones, the dead man came to life and stood on his feet. (Second Kings 13:21)

Six days later Jesus took with him Peter, James, and John the brother of James, and led them privately up a high mountain. And he was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and his clothes became white as light. Then Moses and Elijah also appeared before them, talking with him. (Matthew 17:1-3)

As Saul was going along, approaching Damascus, suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him. He fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to him, “Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?” So he said, “Who are you, Lord?” He replied, “I am Jesus whom you are persecuting! But stand up and enter the city and you will be told what you must do.” Now the men who were traveling with him stood there speechless, because they heard the voice but saw no one. (Acts 9:3-7)

So, this is it. We as a prophetic community are obligated to obey our Lord. We are speaking and acting according to His command. And our enacted parable, that we have begun with our physical plant, will indeed continue to unfold long after we have died.

Know for certain that I hereby give you the authority to announce to nations and kingdoms that they will be uprooted and torn down, destroyed and demolished, rebuilt and firmly planted. (Jeremiah 1:10)

At last, the flywheel has caught.

No comments:

Post a Comment