Monday, April 30, 2012

The Word On The Street.

Yesterday during the second service, I took a walk outside with a small trash bag in hand. There was a significant amount of trash on the block around our church: empty potato chip bags, bottles, and the like. As I walked on the avenue and put trash into the bag, a man passed me. He then paused. Not because of what I was doing, but because he was able to hear the sermon that was in progress.

Someone had opened the emergency exit at the front of the sanctuary. So, anyone walking in the vicinity of 227th Street and Paulding Avenue would have been able to clearly hear Pastor Martha preaching (along with our sister Sonia, who was providing simultaneous translation).

The man stood on the corner of 227th and Paulding for a few minutes, listening, then continued on his way. And I walked back into the building a few minutes after that with a half-filled trash bag, dirty hands, and a thankful heart. Thankful that someone had opened the emergency exit. Thankful that the sound system was working. Thankful that the garbage on the street made me uncomfortable and drew me outside. Thankful that God could encourage me through this stranger, a man "outside the gate" who for a moment turned his attention to the powerful word of God.

Dear Stranger, the Lord bless you for delaying your travel in order to hear His Word. I pray it will take root in you, grow hardily, and bear fruit to the glory of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment