Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Service "Interruption": Children's Crusade.

This past Sunday, several young children participated in service. And I believe that God was sending us a message through them.

We often refer to persons younger than us as "the next generation", "our future", and the like. The implication is that they are still in training, and at some point they'll be able to take our places in ministry.

But as I watched the children on Sunday, the thought came to me that they are in ministry now. Yes, there is plenty of room for growth and development. But they are on the battlefield along with us, now, doing their part to win souls for Christ.

As I reflect on this in light of autism awareness, I think that God has given us a great opportunity for soul-winning. I share Faith's vision of someday having a space in one of our church buildings where special-needs children and youth can be cared for. I also see in my mind a church where a special space will no longer be necessary, because every congregant will lovingly support all the children in every room at church. What a soul-winning opportunity for the kingdom of God, if parents could bring their children to our church without concern for social backlash.

In my mother's generation, babies and children were in worship service along with the adults. No one seemed to mind back then. Things have changed now. Children are in a different space for "age-appropriate" instruction. Babies are relegated to the nursery, where they will not incur glares from adults who have forgotten the joy we can experience in a child's cry. And special-needs children are often left at home.

I really am not advocating any particular children's ministry structure, though it may seem like I am. I'm just wondering if we, when we shuttle children to locations outside of the sanctuary, are missing an opportunity for adults to experience God's salvation through the ministry of a child.

Speak, Lord, Your servants are listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment