Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Doctor Is In.

Friends,

Our senior pastor is back! Pastor Sam spoke this past Sunday, and this week we'll do some reflecting on his sermon which was based in Matthew 5.

For starters, though, let's consider another passage he referred to during the introduction to his sermon: Matthew 7:21-23. I've heard it described as one of the scariest passages in Scripture, and I concur with that.

It's scary because the defense offered by the condemned seems perfectly plausible on the surface. They say, in essence, "Lord, we've done great and mighty things in Your name! People were delivered and healed! The gospel was preached! Look at all this fruit brought forth for Your kingdom!"

Apparently, our labors, and the fruit of our labors, are not enough.

What is the verdict? "Depart from Me: I never knew you."

Knowing Christ is the key! Oh, the danger of doing works in the name of Jesus without ever getting to know Him. God help us all.

Tomorrow we'll take a look at this in light of Judas, the classic example of what it means to be an apostate apostle. (To paraphrase Pastor Sam: even though it's something we've looked at before, we need to be reminded.)

So, to close out today, here's the text of Matthew 7:21-23. I pray that we all will check ourselves and take heed. See you online tomorrow.

"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord', will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'"

No comments:

Post a Comment