Thursday, February 4, 2010

Able Abel.

Let's continue our reflections on this past Sunday's sermon.

Pastor Richie's phrase, "Abel was able...", is something we can think about for ourselves.

Abel was able to offer the best, the first, the most excellent. Of course some of you might be recalling that Pastor Sam mentioned a similar thing back in January. So, if the Spirit of God is speaking to you about your offerings to Him, take note: He is speaking again, and the core of His message has not changed.

God wants your firstfruits, not your leftovers.
God wants an offering that requires sacrifice.
God wants you to consider His mandates as more important than your personal preferences.
God wants you to obey Him.


Friends, what shall we do? Shall we say yes to God at the cost of our own reputation and agenda and comfort, or shall we continue to do our own thing and ask God to bless our weak imitation of His program?

Give Him everything. When you do, He will surprise you with His generosity. We're not talking about money, and we're not talking about "if-I-give-Him-offerings-He'll-give-me-material-stuff". We are speaking of the fulness of the Spirit, the very presence of God, being in You and equipping you to do great works for Him. That is the generosity of God, to pour Himself into us and use us for His glory. That is the great, undeserved, amazing gift we have been given by Him. But, in order to accept that gift, we have to give ourselves fully to Him. Will you do that?

Lord, I know that in myself I have nothing to offer. But, with Your Spirit working in me, You can give me the capacity to do amazing things for You and for the glory of Your name. Please help me to be willing to let go of the things that cannot save me and cannot help me. Please help me to embrace You, Christ, to take up my cross and follow You. You have spoken; I am listening; I will obey You no matter what. I love You. In Jesus's name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment