Thursday, January 14, 2010

Perfect Love In The Upper Room.

"Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them." -John 13:17

The full extent of Jesus's love (see John 13:1), expressed in the humble act of washing the feet of His disciples. Does that surprise you?

Our question for today: what would it look like if we, lovingly, washed each other's feet?

Pastor Sam gave a modern analogy which we would do well to reflect on. There are some of us who are more than happy to give a dollar to a person in need. But, when we are the person in need, we are too embarrassed or too proud to accept the dollar from someone else.

I had to be at Bronx Bethany last Saturday for a couple of meetings, and only had enough money on my Metrocard for a one-way ride to church. As I left my apartment I grabbed a fistful of nickels and dimes out of my coin cup, praying that it was enough to get me back home. Pastor Benji saw me counting my coins at the end of our meeting, and he blessed me with a couple of dollars. I'm sure he had other things to do with his money, but he chose to "wash my feet". And me? I chose to be a grateful recipient. (I must admit, that wasn't easy for me to do. But I'm learning.)

Glorious Jesus, Lord of the universe and everything in it, has given us the roadmap: "I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you" (John 13:15).

Yes, Lord, I am happy to do the work that others call "menial".
Yes, Lord, I am willing to give up everything for those I love... and even for Judas Iscariot, the one I love who plots my downfall.
Yes, Lord, I am happy to accept the gifts You send, and will not allow pride or shame to rob me of the wonderful blessing of love shared in tangible forms.


Friends, let's demonstrate this perfect love of God as we give, and receive, to His glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment