Wednesday, January 6, 2010

It's Called "Epiphany", Baby.

"Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?" (Luke 12:20)

Pastor Sam asked a question during this past Sunday's sermon that we would do well to reflect on, particularly today as we recognize the day of Epiphany: what does it mean to be rich towards God?

In describing the fate of the rich fool, Jesus warns us: "This is how it will be with anyone who stores up things for himself but is not rich towards God" (Luke 12:21). What sort of "rich" can we express to the One who owns everything? What kind of love can we lavish on the One who loves like no other?

Perhaps a flashback to Psalm 116 might be in order. "How can I repay the LORD for all His goodness to me? I will lift up the cup of salvation and call on the name of the LORD.I will fulfill my vows to the LORD in the presence of all His people."

Lord, I will worship You.
Lord, I will praise You privately and publicly.
Lord, I will seek Your face in prayer.
Lord, I will give to Your house and support Your agenda.


Wise men came from the East, spending money, labor, time, and precious resources to seek out the King of the Jews. When they found Jesus, they didn't complain about the length of the journey, the abject poverty of the family, the madness of Herod, nor the tyranny of ancient Rome. They simply knelt before Jesus and presented Him gifts. Can we, who have also come to Jesus, do any less?

Bronx Bethany, wake up to the epiphany: be rich towards God!

No comments:

Post a Comment