Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Glossa Water Year In Review: "The Magdalene In Me"

(originally posted November 15, 2008)

This week we have reflected primarily on Thomas, but today I'd like to look at another individual mentioned in John 20: my friend Mary Magdalene.

After this, Jesus traveled about from one town and village to another, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom of God. The Twelve were with him, and also some women who had been cured of evil spirits and diseases: Mary (called Magdalene) from whom seven demons had come out; Joanna the wife of Cuza, the manager of Herod's household; Susanna; and many others. These women were helping to support them out of their own means (Luke 8:1-3).

Near the cross of Jesus stood his mother, his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Cleopas, and Mary Magdalene (John 19:25).

Jesus said, Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet returned to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, I am returning to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God. Mary Magdalene went to the disciples with the news: I have seen the Lord! And she told them that he had said these things to her (John 20:17-18).

You know, I wonder if you would permit Mary Magdalene to sit on your trustee board. Or join your pastoral staff. Sometimes when we're aware of a person's past history we get nervous about allowing them to do certain things in the church. Our guest speaker from this past Sunday was a former drug dealer who God wondrously saved and delivered from that lifestyle. God chose to elevate him and give him full-time work in the kingdom of God.

In our frailty and fear we are less willing to give people second chances. Moses the murderer and David the adulterer would be told, Well, historically people with your background have a tendency to relapse or to never reform, so we really can't take the risk of putting you on the board... certainly we can't put you in the pulpit... Fortunately, God is not afraid to give people second chances! He says, Go and sin no more.

I love the approach of one of my former pastors, a Salvation Army officer who witnessed the conversion of a former alcoholic and drug addict. What did my pastor do? He gave the individual the keys to the church van after a night service and said, Drive these people home. The individual was shocked at the level of trust extended to him, and viewed the assignment as a tangible proof that, just as God forgot the former sins, our pastor too treated the individual in the same way: We will not remember your former sins. Drive this van and embrace your new identity as a trustworthy child of God.

Risky? Yes, of course. But Jesus took the ultimate risk by dying for all of us while we were still sinners. What has He said?

-Mary, you were bound severely but I set you free. I have seen you demonstrate your love and support and I know I can count on you: deliver this message to My disciples.
-Genise, in your weakness I am your strength. I know I can count on you: keep doing the works I've assigned to you.


What about you? I pray that you will be able to say, Yes, God, You can count on me: I will forget about my past and do what You are telling me to do now. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment