Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Glossa Water Year In Review: "And Your Name Is...?"

(originally posted September 1, 2008)

It's not hard to live a dichotomous life. If we just keep saying no to the agenda of God, He will stop striving with us and will allow callouses to form on our reprobate hearts. And, strangely enough, He does not cancel the promises. We tithe and see the windows of heaven opened. We can pray and see people healed. We can even be effective in evangelism. I know this because I have lived this. And I appreciate the plaintive inquiry: what good is it if a man gains the whole world but loses his soul?

Oh, the dreaded fear of not being recognized by Jesus. As we heard in Sunday's sermon, and as we have read for ourselves in Matthew 25, this is a reality of the kingdom of God. If the LORD had returned in 1990, I certainly would have been 'cast into the darkness'... the consequence of embracing my own agenda and using God as a personal candy machine. To quote Reverend Darryl, I was saved but not surrendered. God, in His graciousness, has allowed me to live long enough to wake up and happily abandon my agenda for His.

What is God seeking? Not just trimmed lamps, but a supply of extra oil; not just talent, but immediate and aggressive investment of the talent with the intent to produce a substantial return; and not just 'all my work is for the Master', but a heart to embrace 'the least of these'. Reflecting on these three parables has led me to consider, deeply and with excitement, how I can support God's agenda in a way that brings Him returns worthy of commendation.

No comments:

Post a Comment