Saturday, May 23, 2009

Ceding Cornwall, Part Two: Deliverance From Reputation.

Friends, by now you will have noticed that I always refer to pastors and speakers by their first name (or nickname) when I'm blogging. I think there is some relief, some peace, in the presence of informality. Additionally, I really don't want to have one set of blogging rules for pastors who are my friends and a different set of rules for pastors who are visitors.

I blog on a first-name basis because when I give up my family name, I give up the rights and privileges and associations that come with it. I'm just Genise. There is no reason for you to care about who I belong to or what "great" things my family is known for. My hope is that you will love me because of the love of Christ Jesus working in and through you. My hope is that you'll hear me and read my work not because of personal or denominational connections, but because the Lord is gracing us with His presence.

In Philippians 3, as well as in Acts 26, Paul reminds us of his past: I had a great reputation. You all know how I grew up. Ah, but then Christ appeared! And in Christ's appearing to Paul on the road to Damascus, an amazing thing happened: nothing else mattered. Dr. Kirkpatrick used the term "tectonic shift": the power of Jesus appears, transforms us, and liberates us. And we are never the same. We can't go back to what we used to be. The fame, the accolades, the attention... it's all worthless. It can't compare to the joy of abiding in Christ.

Friends, are you abiding in Christ? If you are, then don't worry about people knowing your name. In fact, let's pray that they forget your name, and that only Jesus will shine forth in their hearts. People of great reputation carry the risk of being turned into idols, and as was shared in a sermon some months ago (and, ironically, I have to call a name because I'm quoting Pastor Sam directly), "God has a way of making competing idols fall on their faces" (see First Samuel 5).

Jesus made Himself of no reputation (see Philippians 2:7). What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment