Monday, September 29, 2008

Proxy

On Sunday we heard the second sermon in Pastor Benji's series "The Time Is Now: Time To Make A Change". This time we reflected on just one metaphor, found in Revelation 20:11-15: the book of life.

Actually, this metaphor is found throughout scripture. Pastor Benji made a passing reference to Moses' familiarity with God's book of life, which might be good for us to reflect on today. Exodus 32:31-34 records Moses' attempt to offer himself as a stand-in to endure God's punishment on behalf of the Israelites who had worshipped the golden calf: "So Moses went back to the LORD and said, 'Oh, what a great sin these people have committed! They have made themselves gods of gold. But now, please forgive their sin- but if not, then blot me out of the book you have written.' The LORD replied to Moses, 'Whoever has sinned against me I will blot out of my book. Now go, lead the people to the place I spoke of, and my angel will go before you. However, when the time comes for me to punish, I will punish them for their sin.'"

Note that God did not say "Thanks, Moses, sure. You can be their stand-in." Apparently God does not offer a proxy option. Have you ever tried to stand in as a substitute for someone else? I have, and it went something like this: "God, if taking me means that some other people can be given more time to repent, then I'm willing to be a substitute." (Kids, don't try this at home!!) It's no fun to take the fall for someone else's foolishness, but sometimes the love of God just puts you in a place where you're willing to do crazy things like lay down your life for a friend, or perhaps even for an enemy. So I did one of those crazy prayers.

God's answer? "That's nice, you're willing to die. But you're not qualified to be a proxy. I sent them Jesus, and they are being judged based on how they respond to Him."

So, where are you today? Are you one of those whose heart breaks at the sight of "Christians" who undermine the name of Christ by their behavior, or are you one who ignores the wooing of the Spirit, or are you one who is content with your own intact salvation and disinterested in the spiritual state of those around you? Let's remember the ministry of Noah, who demonstrated crazy obedience to God as his neighbors ignored the Creator. And let's remember that everything was "business as usual" until the day of the flood. It's the same thing today.

My dear postmodern friends, history is repeating itself. And God is closing the door of the ark. Are you inside or outside?

No comments:

Post a Comment