Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Counterculture Church, Part Four

This final look at the Acts 2 passage reflects on prayer as a characteristic of the counterculture church (Acts 2:42).

In referencing Luke 18:1-8, Pastor Sam said the following: "The church that is praying is a dangerous church." In referencing a Care Group experience, an anonymous ex-care group member said the following: "I stopped attending because all they did was eat and talk. They never got around to praying."

Jesus has made it clear that the petition made in faith gets His attention. And, appropriately, we are quick to concur. We quote little scripture-ettes like "nothing is impossible with God", "you have not because you ask not", et cetera. But what do we do when we are faced, daily, with the opposite of what we have petitioned God for? Do we continue to believe while we are being buffeted by the distractions of the devil?

Wow, this is a great place to engage in some disclosure. I had a particular thing that I was struggling with: I believed God was preparing me to work in a certain office, and the enemy kept battering me with doubts: You made a mistake, that wasn't God. Let it go. You'll never work there. They are not going to hire you. You can't handle it. You'll end up doing something stupid. For several weeks, every day of the week, he sent these distressing thoughts.

One day, I got tired of the diatribe and decided to respond out loud: Yes, you're right. I'm weak and incapable. There is no way I can succeed on my own. I do not have what it takes. That is why God has chosen me, because He knows I will be completely reliant on Him. He will do the work in me and through me, and only He will get the glory. Since that day, the enemy has stopped attacking my mind regarding that issue. Of course there are other struggles. But I am learning to agree with God and dismiss the enemy.

So, in the face of human and demonic opposition we continue to pray and believe according to the word of God. The church knows no impossibilities because our God specializes in doing what is impossible. How amazing that God permits us to participate in this process of making the impossible occur through the power of prayer, and specifically through the process of praying in faith.

One more disclosure: on my wall at home, and in my bible, are a few pictures. One is of a doctoral robe, one is of a clergy robe, and one is of a pectoral cross. It helps me to have the pictures in my face every day, to remind me of what God has said and to bolster my faith. I pray that we all can remain confident in the assurance and veracity of God, regardless of what the enemy sends in attempts to discourage us.

God bless you, and thanks so much for visiting. I won't be posting on Sunday morning, so the next blog will appear on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment