Monday, November 12, 2012

The Omen And The Amen.

This is the 666th post of Glossa Water.

Most of us consider that particular number to be ominous-- a sign indicating that something is about to happen that is serious and significant, portentous and fateful (whether good or bad).

I believe it is appropriate that today's post, and the ones to follow this week, are generated from the sermons preached in our English-language services this past weekend by Pastor Richie. The word he gave was an ominous oracle from the Lord of hosts. For the one who asks, "Was the omen for good or ill?", the answer lies in how we choose to respond to the word of God.

Though the oracle was tempered by several jokes, there was no mistaking the intensity of our pastor's message. Titled "God Is Awake. Don't You Sleep.", the sermon highlighted three major points that God has called us to reflect upon during this week:

*The people are in God's sight;
*The government is on God's shoulders;
*The world is in God's hands.

For today, let's personally reflect on these three points and what they mean for us as individuals. Here are some questions to consider as we go through our day:

-God sees me continually: each moment is in His sight, even from before I was conceived (Psalm 139:15-16). Are my thoughts, words, and actions a living video that causes Him to smile, or to grieve?

-God is the one who sets up and brings down rulers (Daniel 2:20-21): am I really trusting God to accomplish His will through international, national, and local leadership? What do my personal prayers for leadership indicate about my trust in God?

-God is the Creator and Sustainer of His creation-- the heavens, the earth, the creatures, and the people (Isaiah 44:24-28). Am I trusting God to sustain me, or am I looking to humans or systems to be my source of sustenance?

Lord God, we thank You that You do nothing without first revealing it to us through Your prophets (Amos 3:7-8). Please help us to hear your omen and obey Your call, that we might receive good things from Your hand. We pray this in the name of Jesus, our King. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment