Sunday, November 18, 2012

Due For A Trim.

(Shearing of a Merino sheep/Photo courtesy Wikipedia)
[The sling, at the top of the photo, is supporting the shearer. The sheep is not bound.]

"Because of their long wool it is not always easy to detect disease, wounds, or defects in sheep. But the skilled judge will take his rod and part the sheep's wool to determine the condition of the skin, the cleanliness of the fleece and the conformation of the body." (Phillip Keller)

I heard the voice of the sovereign master say, “Whom will I send? Who will go on our behalf? I answered, “Here I am, send me!” (Isaiah 6:8) 

In last weekend's services (November 10-11), Pastor Richie shared with us that Isaiah responded to a question he was not asked. Rather, Isaiah overheard a kingdom question and quickly responded to the voice of God.

But, before Isaiah volunteered for the task, something else had happened to him: he had experienced an epiphany.
  • Isaiah saw the glory of Adonai (Isaiah 6:1);
  • Isaiah recognized his own depraved nature and confessed his sins (Isaiah 6:5);
  • Isaiah submitted himself to being cleansed by a seraph, a messenger who carried the fire of God (Isaiah 6:7).

Our pastor also quoted from Psalm 139, which reminds us that God has always known us, even before we were formed, and He knows what we are made of. He knows what we are at our core. Isaiah's confession was not news to God: God already knew Isaiah's sin crisis. But, Isaiah's confession opened the door for cleansing and commissioning to occur.

My prayer is that as we gather for corporate worship each week, we will experience Isaiah's epiphany.

Let us see the glory of Adonai;
Let us recognize our depraved nature and confess our sins;
Let us submit ourselves to being cleansed by our pastors, the messengers who carry the fire of God;
And, let us keep our ears open to hear kingdom questions, so that we might quickly answer: Here I am, send me!

O Lord, my Shepherd, I am Your lamb. I come to You and lay at Your feet. By the rod of Your word and the care of Your oracles, move past my external wool. Gently shave off the external veneer, and reveal the true condition of my soul. Cleanse every wound; heal every disease; cause me to be conformed to Your image and likeness. I ask this in Your name, Lord Jesus. Let it be to me as You say.

No comments:

Post a Comment