Wednesday, October 31, 2012

When You're Spoken To...

During this past Sunday's sermon, Pastor Shane made reference to the ministry of Reverend Eliseus Joseph, who blessed our local church immensely during two separate revival services (held a year apart).

At the heart of Pastor Shane's comment was this testimony: Rev. Joseph has a God-given ability to speak prophetically into the lives of people. Though Rev. Joseph did not know the people he was praying for, he was nonetheless able to share very specific information about each individual, the challenges they were facing, their faith journey, their need for deliverance or encouragement, and so on.

It is a joy to know that God speaks as our Christian walk takes us through sorrows and joys. Psalm 30 reminds us that weeping may endure for the night, but joy comes in the morning (see Psalm 30:5). Who is the source of this joy? It is the Spirit of Christ, the Comforter who gently draws us to Himself.

God speaks through His word, inerrant and constant through the ages.
God speaks through His prophets-- men and women called to be His ambassadors.
God speaks through His people, the community of faith.

And as He draws us near, as we hear Him speak, there may be moments where we hear His rebuke. Because He loves us, He will warn us when we are found straying from the fold; He will woo us and guide us back into His protective care. "O Lord, you pulled me up from Sheol; you rescued me from among those descending into the grave." (Psalm 30:3) Sometimes the wooing is through relative strangers, as we experienced with Rev. Joseph. At other times the wooing is through fellow believers whom we know well. At still other times, a loving rebuke may come through our Scripture reading or during our personal devotions with the Lord.

I remember the moment Pastor Shane referred to, and can testify with him. It was indeed two o'clock in the morning when he and others were still receiving ministry from Rev. Joseph. And it was about five o' clock that same morning that I had my turn at hearing God speak: not in church, but at a local diner where I and three ministers went after service ended. What did I hear? The warning of God. What did I feel? The most incredible sense of love; a love that drew me in and made me want to be free. How did I respond? I submitted myself to God and to the leaders He set over me... and after a season, I experienced His grace and deliverance. Thank You, Lord.

God continues to speak, woo, love, rebuke, and deliver.
What do you hear?
What do you feel?
How will you respond?

No comments:

Post a Comment