Saturday, October 27, 2012

Turn The Page.

It is interesting to note in the letters to the Corinthians that, though the apostle Paul exhorted the Corinthians to be generous givers, he did not ask anything for himself.

Let me make a stronger statement. The Corinthian church really should have been embarrassed, because the extremely poverty-stricken Macedonian church submitted themselves to God and supported Paul's ministry while the well-off Corinthians continued in sin and gave nothing. As we move past chapters 8 and 9 and continue to the end of the letter, we see Paul write in detail:

"Was it a sin for me to lower myself in order to elevate you by preaching the gospel to you free of charge? I robbed other churches by receiving support from them so as to serve you. And when I was with you and needed something, I was not a burden to anyone, for the brothers who came from Macedonia supplied what I needed. I have kept myself from being a burden to you in any way, and will continue to do so." (Second Corinthians 11:7-9, italics mine)

"Now I am ready to visit you for the third time, and I will not be a burden to you, because what I want is not your possessions but you... I fear that there may be quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, factions, slander, gossip, arrogance and disorder. I am afraid that when I come again my God will humble me before you, and I will be grieved over many who have sinned earlier and have not repented of the impurity, sexual sin and debauchery in which they have indulged." (Second Corinthians 12:14 and 12:20b-21)

In the last chapter of Second Corinthians Paul gives a warning of impending judgement: "I already gave you a warning when I was with you the second time. I now repeat it while absent: On my return I will not spare those who sinned earlier or any of the others, since you are demanding proof that Christ is speaking through me. He is not weak in dealing with you, but is powerful among you... our prayer is for your perfection. This is why I write these things when I am absent, that when I come I may not be harsh in my use of authority-- the authority the Lord gave me for building you up, not for tearing you down." (Second Corinthians 13:2-3 and 13:9b-10, italics mine)

Friends, let us take heed. Paul's word to the Corinthians is God's word to us.
Let us obey Second Corinthians 13:11--

Aim for perfection.
Listen to the appeal of God's oracle.
Be of one mind.
Live in peace.

If we do these things, the God of love and peace will be with us. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment