Friday, August 17, 2012

Stop Staring At Me.

During this past Sunday's pastoral prayer, Pastor Sam made a prophetic appeal: "Stop looking at other people."

The Lord has warned us to not focus on the faults of others. Even as we engage in the ministry of salvation and deliverance, we must take heed to the counsel of God spoken through the apostle Paul: "Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted." (Galatians 6:1)

Further, the Lord has warned us not to focus on the futures of others. We see the account of Peter: after Jesus gave Peter a prophetic word concerning the end of his life, Peter responded by asking for information on the disciple John. Jesus's response, in essence, was to tell Peter to mind his own business. "If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me." (John 21:22)

This is a potentially virulent issue at Bronx Bethany. Though we are not a large church, we are a church with plenty of high-profile congregants to look at. As was said some years ago, every row could be a church board. It's tempting to watch other people, critiquing their spiritual walk and/or ministry track, instead of seeking God about our own standing with Him.

So God has graciously spoken to us, again. Let's take heed to His loving rebuke. Let's keep our gaze on Him.

O happy day that fixed my choice on Thee, my Savior and my God!
Well may this glowing heart rejoice, and tell its raptures all abroad.
'Tis done, the great transaction's done-- I am my Lord's and He is mine;
He drew me and I followed on, charmed to confess the voice divine.

Now rest, my long-divided heart, fixed on this blissful center, rest;
Nor ever from thy Lord depart, with Him of every good possessed.
High heaven, that heard the solemn vow, that vow renewed shall daily hear,
Till in life's latest hour I bow, and bless in death a bond so dear.
(P. Doddridge)

No comments:

Post a Comment