Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Say it Again, Man.

A discussion of division in the heart of the believer would be incomplete without mentioning Judas Iscariot.

Over the few years I've been blogging, this Judas seems to have gained a regular spot in the rotation. Each time I think the Judas thing is done with, he comes around again. Who, or what, was Judas? He was a believer in Jesus. He was a bonafide participant in ministry, performing signs and wonders along with the other disciples. He was a gifted administrator, trusted to handle the financial aspects of Jesus's ministry.

But, like Solomon, Judas had a divided heart. Judas followed after Jesus, and Judas followed after money. The love of money drove Judas to sell out his Lord for thirty pieces of silver.

During this past Sunday's sermon, Pastor Sam summed up Judas's fate: in the attempt to simultaneously hang on to Jesus and hang on to money, Judas lost everything. The Scripture is true: “No man can serve two masters.” (See Matthew 6:24)

Why does God keep reminding Bronx Bethany of Judas?

I have a theory, which may be wrong, but here it is. Judas Iscariot was a person, but he is also representative of a spiritual attitude. The Judas Iscariot attitude is built on a faulty logic that goes something like this:

As a member of the body of Christ, I have spiritual gifts given to me by the Holy Spirit.
Because I have these spiritual gifts, I can bless the church even though I am sinful.
Because I am a blessing to the church, and my gifts have not been removed, my spiritual gifts are a sufficient covering for my sinfulness.
Since my gifts are a sufficient covering for my sinfulness, there's no need for me to ever repent.


There is a comment made by Peter, which we see early in the book of Acts: “Concerning Judas... he was a full participant in the ministry.” (See Acts 1:15-17) If Jesus did not remove Judas from ministry, that should be a clue to us that full participation in ministry is not a sign of righteousness. It is not a sign that we love Jesus exclusively. And it is not a sign that God is condoning our sinfulness.

The call to repentance has gone out again. Will we plead to Christ for forgiveness? Or do we think we're doing fine with our balancing act of spiritual power and sinful practices?

Judas's sad life warns us again. Let's take heed.

No comments:

Post a Comment