Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Paul-mark Card.

I thank God, whom I serve, as my ancestors did, with a clear conscience, as night and day I constantly remember you in my prayers. (Second Timothy 1:3)

Though the opening sentences of Second Timothy focus primarily on Timothy's heritage, there is also a moment where we see the heritage of Paul. In verse three, quoted above, the short sentence is full of evidences of Paul's own legacy.

I thank God...
There is no better way to begin. Thanksgiving is the hallmark of a grateful heart. Paul says, in effect, What I have is not of my own doing; it has been given to me by the Lord of Glory. My ministry, my life, my health, everything points back to the Lord who made it all possible.

...whom I serve...
Paul makes a powerful statement here. The implication is that there are some people in the world who, though they are thankful, are not fully on board with the aspect of service. To serve is to acknowledge that we have a Master. There is One who we obey. In other words, it is not enough to be thankful. The thankfulness is expressed through our obedience to the commands of God.

...as my ancestors did...
Ah, there it is- the godly heritage. It was not just a factor in the life of Timothy, but was also a factor in the life of Paul. Paul could look back and say that the generations before him were also people of thankfulness and service to God, and Paul has chosen to follow their example.

...with a clear conscience...
Paul's inclusion of this little phrase raises the specter of counterfeit worship. It is possible that someone can be fully engaged in service, but fraudulently so. It is akin to a scenario Pastor Sam mentions from time to time, in which a man constantly calls his wife and sends her gifts, while he is secretly bound in adultery with someone else. Paul makes it clear that his own worship and service to the Lord is authentic.

...as night and day I constantly remember you in my prayers.
Paul, himself a minister of the gospel, made a conscious choice to support Timothy's ministry through intercessory prayer. It's not every seasoned minister who is able and willing to devote time and energy to the support of a younger minister. Paul's action is an encouragement to those of us who are older: it is acceptable, and perhaps imperative, that we intercede on behalf of the next generation of spiritual leaders.

*Do you thank God?
*Do you serve God?
*Does your family reflect a heritage of thankful service?
*Is your own thankfulness and service authentic?
*Are you engaged in intercessory prayer for the next generation of ministers?

Lord, we are happy and grateful to serve You and Your ministers. Help us to have a testimony of thankfulness and faithfulness, and to leave a legacy that is relevant and inspiring to those who follow behind us. May Paul's legacy be our legacy. In Jesus's name we ask this. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment