Saturday, November 28, 2009

"Engagement" Ring.

In Pastor Sam's sermon on November 22nd, he spoke on Psalm 116. The heart of the sermon was focused on the idea of engagement in generosity as an expression of thankfulness to God. However, this engagement must be preceded by a more important one: engagement in a "promise-keeping" relationship with God.

The repeated thought of Psalm 116 is a curious one: "I will call upon the name of the LORD" (see verses 2, 4, 13, 17). Not 'I will give money to the church', not 'I will feed widows and orphans', but 'I will call upon the name of the LORD'. It seems God is more interested in having our hearts than having our wallets.

When we accept the "cup of salvation" (Psalm 116:13), an interesting thing happens. As Pastor Sam noted, when God has our hearts, then giving of our time, talents, and tithes is no problem: "I will fulfill my vows in the presence of all His people" (Psalm 116:14). It seems natural: First, God, I love You; Second, God, everything I have is at Your disposal.

So, Bronx Bethany, are you uptight or upset when we talk about giving to the LORD? Perhaps another stroll through Psalm 116 might help us regain perspective:

-The LORD heard my cry and turned His ear to me (v.1);
-When I was in great need, He saved me (v.6);
-The LORD has delivered my soul from death, my eyes from tears, and my feet from stumbling (v.8);
-The LORD has freed me from my chains (v.16).

Oh LORD God our Father, we say with the psalmist, How can we repay You for all Your goodness to us? Give us grace to accept Your salvation. Give us grace to fulfill our vows to You, grace to give and to do what we have promised. We pray this for the sake of Your glorious kingdom. In Jesus' name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment