Thursday, February 5, 2015

The Walk-Through

The LORD is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. (Psalm 23:1-4)

I  want Jesus to walk with me, all along my pilgrim journey;
In my trials, Lord, walk with me, when the shades of life are falling;
In my sorrows, Lord, walk with me, when my heart is almost breaking; 
In my troubles, Lord, walk with me, when my life becomes a burden;
I want Jesus to walk with me.
-"I Want Jesus To Walk With Me" (Author unknown)


Near the close of Sunday's sermon, Pastor Althea shared a video featuring the Negro spiritual "I Want Jesus to Walk With Me." In reflecting on the lyrics of the spiritual, I was reminded of a reference to the Christian walk shared by Bishop Robert Stearns. He used dance as an analogy of our walk with the Lord: "In this dance, the Bridegroom leads, and the bride obediently follows."

Do we understand that our walk with Jesus is evidenced by His leading us and our following Him? Psalm 23:4 informs us that this process of walking with Jesus even includes a "walk through the darkest valley"-- and we can indeed walk through it, unafraid, because our Lord walks with us.

In the video shown on Sunday we were told of the Fisk Jubilee Singers, who faced discrimination and danger as they toured the southeastern United States. There was deep injustice in those times. There is deep injustice in our times as well. Yet, in the face of injustice, Jesus presents His people an offer: "I want to walk with you. Will you agree to walk with Me?" Pastor Althea noted that our walk with Jesus causes us to experience shalom, the peace and justice of God, even in moments when we suffer.

Do you want Jesus to walk with you?

Lord Jesus, whether You lead us beside still waters, or whether You lead us through dark valleys, we will obediently follow You. We want You to walk with us!

All Scripture references are from The Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.®Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.


No comments:

Post a Comment