Friday, November 21, 2014

"Weight" List.

In Sunday's sermon, Pastor Sam shared with us a very sobering checklist. The scary thing about the checklist is that it does not refer to those who had no encounter with God, but rather those who claim to be Christians who love the Lord. We Christians, then, have a question to wrestle with: We say we know what Scripture says. Are we doing what it says we ought to do?

As we reflected on Psalm 100 and the importance of engaging worship in a manner that pleases God, we learned that it is God who knows the motives and intents of our hearts. He calls each of us to draw near to Him. But, though He calls, He has given us the freedom to answer according to our own will and inclination.

Our pastor noted that the inclination of our heart is typically demonstrated by our response to God's instructions. Let's review the list from the end of Sunday's sermon and take inventory of our own standing with God.

The Checklist: Where is your worship-life today?

  • I know what God has said, but I don't care about doing what God has said.
  • I know what God has said, but I fail in my attempts to do what God has said.
  • I do what God has said, but only because I fear the consequence of not doing what God has said (Hell).
  • I do what God has said, but only because I want to be compensated for doing what God has said (Heaven).
  • I know what God has said, and the knowing has informed my doing: I am joyful in worship and joyfully obedient to Him.

Lord God, help us to move from mere reading and recitation of Your word; move us into a life of obedience to You, with the help of Your Holy Spirit. Cause our worship-life to be an authentic expression of joy and gladness, for the glory of Your Name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment